Monday, June 11, 2007

Hola




Hola! Coma esta ustedes? I believe that I just said, Hello, How are you? That is about the extent of what I remember from a couple of years of Spanish. Boy, am I wishing that I would have paid more attention to learning spanish rather than worrying about when we got to eat some of the food. I could really use it now that we're here. Guatemala City!!!! The country where our son was born. Sue and I, Sue's mom and Dad, my Mom, and a very close special friend of the family (Aunt Karen Workman) left Saterday night for Detroit. We arrived in G.C. yesterday around 11:30am after leaving Detroit about 6:00am, also Guatemala is 2 hrs behind Michigan. Flights were great. Another big step was accomplished yesterday too. Sue's mom has not flown for many years and was very nervous and aprehensive about flying, but after knowing she wanted to be here for the first meeting of Eli, and many many many prayers, and God's provision and answer to prayers, she got on the plane and actually enjoyed the trip. This could be an opening of doors for their future too, feeling more confident to travel. Anyhow, as we were flying in yesterday, a very surreal feeling came over me. As we started our decsent on G.C., we had about 20 minutes where we were able to view the country from the air. What a beatiful, lush, green, volcanic, mountainous country. To think my son was born here. I'm having trouble finding the words to describe my feeling, (me at a lose for words). You see this beautiful, beautiful creation of God and then you land and you see a city of 2 million people and the chaos, and congestion, and then you see the poverty and need, then you go down streets and see a family of 4 (1 baby) on a little motorcycle (no helmets of course), you see the tiny tin shacks with dirt floors, you see people trying to sell you anything just to make a buck, and then, and then you see these kids playing in the street, with no regard, seemingly, by anyone near for their safety, except for the non-stop traffic who does their best to navigate these crazy, winding roads full of , cars, people, dogs, goats, and who knows what else. As I said, I'm having trouble describing what we are taking in. And we want to absorb as much of it as possible for Eli's sake. We want to be able to tell him what his country is like. We took a tour in Antiqua yesterday, about an hour from G.C. Very beautiful and historic. Our tour guide was fantastic and I videoed most of it so we had some history for Eli when he is older. I also was able to talk to him (thank goodness he spoke english very well) about adoptions and Guatemala. We had been warned that some people in Guatemala are not very supportive of adoptions out of Guatemala. I was happy/relieved to hear him say that mindset is changing as many people are seeing the opportunity these adopted children have for a safer, healthier life with more opportunities. Sue and I are convinced that we are "no better people" than Eli's birth mother is, we have just been blessed by God to live where we live and have the opportunities that we have. We truly believe all of this is ordained by God. We also had to find the market there, where native mayan sell handwoven goods. Let's just say that we did probably more than our fair share to help the local economies. Today, we are hoping to visit a coffee plantation and the market here in G.C. Tomorrow, the big day. Seeing Elijah face to face. We ask for your prayers for him and for us for that very moment. We also ask for prayers that all will go well at the Embassy. We know God has seen us through this process and He will to completion, which will include the rest of our lives. Hope this finds you all well, and thanks for taking time to read and pray. Adios!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys! TOday's the BIG day! You get to meet Elijah! Praying BIG for you all and just feeling SOOOOO excited inside for the miracle you are about to experience in a couple hour's time. Having had the experience just a couple months ago ourselves, it's still quite fresh in our minds. This is an amazing, annointed time that you will never forget! God bless you today and always! Kelly in MN, Forever Momma to Jonathan Eduardo (Sue knows us from the BB)

everchangin' clan said...

Thinking of you guys ~ I am so excited for you to meet & hold your sweet Eli today ~ hope all goes well & give him lots of hugs from your Bethany Pals!!! lv, Stac

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys!!!
I can't wait to meet Eli in the flesh. We are so excited for you and we are praying for everything to go well and safe travel as well as thanking God for all he has and is doing in your lives.

We love you,
Uncle Bill, Aunt Teresa, Meg & Nate

Mollie and Rob Osborn said...

Hi Guys! We just wanted to tell you that we are thinking of you all today! I am so excited to be an aunt again! We are all praying for everything to go smoothly and everyone arrives back home safe and healthy!

Love you all and can't wait to welcome Eli into the family! Love, Rob, Mollie and family