Thursday, August 13, 2009

Called..........

It was a Monday afternoon, I was sitting in my kitchen with my Grandma, just visiting when the phone rang. It was an unfamiliar number but I decided to answer it anyway. What happened after that changed me, humbled me and made me realize you never know what God is going to bring in a day. Here is Amanda's story......
I answered the phone to a hysterical woman crying and asking me for help. She said she was at a church parking lot and saw my number on a sign. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out where she was and where my number would be on a sign???? I realized then that she was at MY church--My phone number had been put on our sign outside to call for a benefit supper we were having for one of our youth. I confirmed with her that she was on 8 mile. She said she was trying to get back to her family in Alma and had her two sons with her, who were hungry and had to go to the bathroom. She said her truck was on empty, and she was running from her abusive boyfriend. I told her to stay put, I would be right there. I left the house, thank goodness Grandma was there, and took off towards my church calling my dad as I went. He said he was in McBain and couldn't meet me there right away so I tried my brother, he couldn't come either and told me to call his girlfriend Melissa. I went and picked her up, we quickly filled up a gas can and headed towards church. I was nervous, not sure of what I was getting myself into but felt the Lord guiding me. We pulled into the church parking lot and she was sitting in her vehicle. I got out as she did and embraced Amanda, who pretty much fell into my arms. She was very upset and crying, a beautiful young woman. I quickly got the boys out of the car and we went inside church while Melissa set to work on filling up her gas tank. We got the boys into the bathroom and talked for a bit, then my dad showed up. We learned a little more about her and found that she was expecting a baby, had been beaten several times by her boyfriend, had 4 other children, all girls, who were staying with family at that time, was in and out of the foster system as a child herself and no parents in the area to help her. Dad and I got busy rounding up phone numbers of shelters for her, all the while I'm thinking "I really want to take them home with me" asking God--please show me what to do. After some discussion, I asked her if she would follow me to my house so we could bathe the boys and get them a good meal, she agreed and we were off. We got home and put the boys in the tub and rounded up some clean clothes for them. After they were done Amanda took a shower and we provided her with clean clothes too. Then we sat and talked about her options and what would be the best route for her to take now. The boys played with my kids while dad, Mike and I talked with her, told her of God's love for her and continued to try and find a shelter in the Alma area. She said she wanted to go back and get her 4 girls and try living in a home that her parents own but don't live in. She has friends and a couple sisters in that area. She kept hugging me and telling me she was ashamed, I kept reassuring her that she had no reason to be and that I was going to help her and keep praying for her. She left a few hours later and texted me when she got to her sisters and said she was safe. I was relieved to hear it. That evening Mike and I prayed and thanked God for using us, and if it be His will to continue to use us in Amanda's life. Well.......He is.........




My two dad's, checking out the water heater etc. in Amanda's home...


My brother's girlfriend Melissa, hanging a curtian...


Madelyn & Audrey helping clean....


Amanda's son.......


Amanda's oldest daughter.....


my 2 mom's making up a bed.....


The new bathroom Mike and my brother Andy put in......




Amanda and I.....


Amanda's sweet little girl.....


A new, clean bedroom for the girls.....


Amanda's room....


The bathroom almost finished--
It was so bad--the transformation was incredible!


Her busy family....


Audrey & Madelyn scrubbing walls.......


Another of her sweet girls....


Another of her sweet girls.....


Amanda's other son.......


Melissa scrubbing floors--
Amanda's aunt is in the red, she was helping also....

A newer couch we brought to her....


New flooring that was donated, that we layed....


The finished bathroom......Melissa laid the
flooring--yah she is wonder woman!




The boys' bedroom....


The girls' bedroom...


Her adorable kids....

So beautiful.....




The finished kitchen.....

I wanted to take them all home.....

Amanda with her youngest daughter......


more of the kids.....



can you tell they captured my heart?


so sweet.....




Mike talking to the boys........


Dad and Amanda.....

saying goodbye.......



she is just so precious...



giving Grandpa Jay hugs....

We had a prayer with her before we left.....she wept and was so grateful
for our help and what we brought her....








It was a long day. It was an eye opening day, a humbling day for all of us.......
God is still at work in Amanda's life. She is struggling to raise 6 kids while prenant with #7.
Right now Consumers will not turn her electric on in the home due to an outstanding bill she
needs to pay. She has done so well, is so determined to get her life back on track and raise her
kids, but lately is finding it very hard and exhausting, she is struggling emotionally, moving from friend to friend and family to family giving her kids baths and a good meal. She needs our prayers......
Thank you to all who donated items for Amanda and her kids....it was needed and appreciated!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful story. It left me bawling, Sue. This was a divine appointment by God and you reponded to the call!! Thanking the Lord for you all today. Praying for Amanda and her children's safety, well-being and spiritual condition. Keep listening...he's gonna use you again, I just know it! ~Kelly in MN